10 Tips to achieve a healthy sleep
World Sleep Society recommends the following 10 steps to achieve healthy sleep
- Fix a bedtime and an awakening time.
- If you are in the habit of taking a nap, do not exceed 45 minutes of daytime sleep.
- Avoid excessive alcohol ingestion 4 hours before bedtime and do not smoke.
- Avoid caffeine 6 hours before bedtime. This includes coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate.
- Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4 hours before bedtime. A light snack before bed is acceptable.
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
- Use comfortable bedding.
- Find a comfortable temperature setting for sleeping and keep the room well ventilated.
- Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
- Reserve the bed for sleep and sex. Don’t use the bed as an office, workroom or recreation room.
To participate in World Sleep Day, consider:
- Organizing an event to create excitement and generate interest in World Sleep Day.
- Circulating the official press release with sleep experts and local media.
- Distributing sleep patient literature such as booklets, leaflets and newsletters.
- Spreading the word on social media about #WorldSleepDay.